Dean R. Nelson Jr.
Dean focuses his practice on bankruptcy/insolvency matters, general business representation, real estate transactions, and civil litigation. After graduating from the University of Michigan, Dean attended Wayne State University Law School where he graduated with honors. During law school he completed judicial internships with the Honorable Phillip J. Shefferly, now Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court, E.D. Mich. and the Honorable George C. Steeh, United States District Court, E.D. Mich.
Dean has been a panelist at American Bankruptcy Institute seminars, speaking on issues of real estate law within bankruptcy (November 2014) and ethics in consumer bankruptcy cases (June 2016). In addition, Dean is a member of the local bankruptcy rules committee for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Dean has demonstrated success in and out of the courtroom in the following areas:
- Representation of Debtors, Creditors, and Chapter 7 Trustees in Bankruptcy
- Business loan/guaranty workouts and settlements of multi-million dollar transactions
- Real Estate transactions and litigation
- Commercial litigation within the state and federal courts
- Contract/lease negotiations for corporate clients
- Business formation and governance
- Dischargeability of debt litigation in bankruptcy (plaintiff and defense)
- Judgment of divorce obligations within bankruptcy
- Avoidable transfer litigation in and out of bankruptcy (plaintiff and defense)
- Bankruptcy Appeals to the U.S District Court and U.S. Court of Appeals
Dean’s clients include:
- A lawyer and Certified Public Accountant with an interest in an eight figure real estate development
- A lawyer in defense of a claim of professional negligence
- A Michigan non-profit corporation in its successful defense of an action seeking substantial consolidation of its assets with those of a New York corporation. The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York granted Dean’s motion to dismiss the action at the beginning of the case.
- The court appointed Receiver of a real estate development company charged with the responsibility of liquidating over 200 vacant lots and an office building, and recovering over 20 fraudulently transferred land contract receivables. The case involved numerous forged and backdated transfer documents and actions by insiders to destroy and falsify documents. Dean worked with forensic accountants to reach a successful resolution.
- Local businesses throughout metro Detroit, whose legal needs include lease and contract review, corporate governance, document drafting, and shareholder agreements.
Dean is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, Federal Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, and Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Association
Bachelor of Arts, with distinction, University of Michigan
Judicial Intern, Hon. George C Steeh, U.S District Court, E.D. MI
Judicial Intern, Hon. Phillip J. Shefferly, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, E.D. MI
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Michigan, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals