Matthew P. Taunt
Matt specializes in Federal and State Court litigation. He also represents business owners in the formation and maintenance of corporations and limited liability companies and the purchase and sale of operating businesses.
Matt frequently represents parties in Chapter 7 and 11 bankruptcy cases. He represents clients filing both business and personal bankruptcy through the analysis, planning, and conclusion of their cases. He has served as trial counselor on a complex business fraud case tried to conclusion and resulting in a judgment of $1.3 million and as first chair trial counsel successfully defending his client against an action to bar his discharge. The case was tried to conclusion and dismissed on all counts.
Matt’s clients include:
- A multi-national building materials manufacturer which he represents in business transactions, construction lien and bond claims and civil litigation throughout the Midwest
- The secured creditor in the Chapter 11 liquidation of a specialty vehicle manufacturing company, which included the sale of the core business for $25 million, and lifting the automatic stay to allow the secured creditor to conduct an orderly liquidation of the remaining assets resulting in a multi-million dollar recovery
- A mortgage brokerage firm in successfully pursuing litigation to recover embezzled and converted funds by a former owner and employee
- The bankruptcy trustee in the liquidation of a multi-national automotive supplier with operations in the US and Europe. The assignment included defense of WARN Act claims in federal court and liquidation of a Spanish subsidiary under Spanish law
- Owners of franchised international restaurants in multi-location acquisitions and sales of new and existing facilities
- The bankruptcy trustee in the operation and ultimate sale of a weekly newspaper and resolution of priority claims including claims of various taxing authorities
Bachelor of Science, Syracuse University, 2003
Federal Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Brother Rice Alumni Association